Sunday, January 18, 2009

BT50K Race report: "Dead Last to First!"

Well, my back was feeling better and I decided to give the race a try. Common sense would say to skip it, but I have never been accused of having much of that...

My plan was to hike/run/walk or whatever the first 5 mile out-n-back to Brandywine Falls. If things felt good, then maybe, maybe try the 1/2 marathon...

Beautiful morning with a slight relief in temperature at a balmy 20-something degrees; a few inches of fresh snow, and slight wind. We all gathered outside the Boston Store and with a blast from Tanya's whistle, we were off. We all stopped suddenly as the group had to form into a single-file line for the towpath. There was only a small packed-down trail and no one wanted to break a new trail through the 10-12 inches of snow... I let everyone go in front of me and started walking. There was a small group of us at the back and I was the last person in line... DEAD LAST! I have not been dead last since I stopped racing my Hobie Cat sailboat... I did not mind since this was my plan.

I was almost within earshot of the last pack and tried to jog back up to connect. I was able to do so and the slow jogging felt pretty good. The snow was not too bad and I had pretty good traction. The screws I installed on the soles of my shoes seemed to be doing the trick. The woods were very quiet and the contrast of the dark tree bark against the fresh white snow was very pretty to look at. We we arrived at the first hill, seeing the 'conga-line' of brightly-colored runners snaking their way up the hill contrasted against the black and white of the woods, was definitely a Kodak moment.

I passed a few people when the trail split into two paths as we followed tracks of the people ahead of us. The front-runners soon started coming back at us and we all played "Chicken" to see who would bail out into the snow first. I usually gave way since I was not in a hurry, except when they were coming down-hill. It was faster for them to basically slide down the edge of the trail than to go down the steps!

I shouted out hellos to Kirk and JP as they returned and I arrived at the aid station at Brandywine Falls. Quickly passed through since I did not need/want anything and started back to Boston Store. My back was feeling ok, and I was starting to entertain serious thoughts of going on to Pine Lane for the 1/2 marathon distance. A mile later, things started to tighten up again. I flipped and I flopped in my mind about what to do: Stop at 5 miles or try for 13...

Finally, common sense did prevail and I stopped at Boston Store after 1 hour and 10 minutes in the woods. A good decision and it gave me the distinction of being the FIRST finisher!! Not exactly the way that I wanted to be first, but a first is a first right??!!

Went inside, picked up my jacket, ate a bowl of chili and went back outside. I wanted to thank the volunteers out there. They will be there all day long in the cold. At least the runners can generate heat but the volunteers stay in one place. The snow was still falling as I made my way to the car for the drive home.

Great morning! Not what I had expected last October when I registered for this event, but a great day nonetheless. Thanks to Tanya and all of the volunteers for another great 50k!

1 comment:

Kim said...

Hey Jerry,
good to meet you out there on the trail! Good for you to make the decision to stop and rest the back!