Monday, August 30, 2010

Life Changing Events




This photo was taken in late June, 1987. I had just spent the last 3.5 hours pedaling the 22-miles up "Going to the Sun Highway" in Glacier National Park. Logan Pass was the highest point I would reach on my 4155-mile bicycle trip across America. I was almost 25-years old and had a list of questions that I was hoping to find answers to over the next 3000 or so miles. Questions like, "What am I going to do with my life?", "What about relationships?", "Is there life outside of my hometown?". Normal stuff, I thought...

As I traveled east across the back-roads of America, I was watching for and soaking in all that I could in an attempt to learn and find answers. I finished my trip with eyes wide-open and realized that there was another world outside of my little hometown and I needed to get out.

I changed jobs and moved to Cleveland where I started to date the "hot" new aerobics instructor. We shared lots of hikes and walks in the metro parks and I eventually asked her to marry me! Thankfully she said 'yes'!

Tomorrow marks 19 years since Denise and exchanged our promises to each other. It only seems like 19 weeks since time has passed so quickly. It has been an adventure to say the least and I am so excited to think about the next 19 years!

The photo below is of Denise taken during our honeymoon at Glacier National Park! No, we did not ride our bikes there, but we had some fantastic day-hikes.

Denise, thank you for the best 19 years of my life! I love you...


Oh, by the way, I never did find any answers to those questions. What I did find however was more valuable: I had an attitude change. I realized that God has it all under control. All I have to do is to trust and relax and let His plan unfold. Easy? No. But does it provide peace? You betcha!

No comments: