Sunday, June 15, 2008

Black flies and Bats

Yesterday had me running another 2-a-day. 10 miles in the morning and another evening run. Saturday morning was warm and it felt like rain was near. I started and felt really sluggish for the first half. The bugs were out in force and I felt like I was constantly swatting them away. A couple of black flies tried to use me for breakfast but they were unsuccessful. Eventually, an easy rain started to fall and cooled things off a bit. It seemed to chase the bugs away also.

My sister was here for a visit and we went over to Sam's Club to look at trampolines and I ended up getting one for the girls. Denise and I had been talking about it for some time and it was time. Oh yeah, I also bought myself a power washer. Something else that I have talked about getting for some time. Now I have no excuse not to redo the deck...

Last night I drove over to Bedford reservation and ran a section of the Burning River 100 course. I took the course backwards to Shadow lake since I have never been on this part of the trail before. Very nice section of trail that followed Tinkers Creek. Lots of large trees in this area along with some fresh blow-downs that I had to scramble over. I returned to the car and then followed the course to Alexander road. I have run this segment several times earlier and since I was running alone, I wanted some familiar trails for this dusk/night run.

I thought that since I would be finishing my run just around sunset, that I would not need my headlamp. I packed it anyways, just in case, and I am so glad that I did. I 'forgot' that it gets dark in the woods a lot earlier! When I could see sky through the trees, it was light, but the trail was pretty dark.

At one point I ran through a swarm of those gnats that always seem to be everywhere when suddenly something swooped past me about 3 ft in front of me. Swoosh, swoosh, two more of them went by. I then realized that they were bats!! It was actually pretty cool how fast they were going and how well their sonar works! Denise would have freaked out! She cowers when she sees a bat anywhere, yet alone that close! She has already said that she will NOT be pacing with me at night...

Father's Day today was a blast! Blueberry pancakes for breakfast, then off to Church. I mowed the grass while the girls made a wonderful vegetable lasagna for a late lunch. Denise and I had told the girls that we would wait to set up the trampoline until we got back from Lake Placid. I suprised them after lunch and said that they had to help me set the trampoline up TODAY! They were very very excited and will sleep very well tonight after jumping all evening.

52 total miles this week. Feeling pretty good and am planning my 50+ mile run for July 6. Anyone want to join me for some or all?

No comments: