Sunday, June 8, 2008

Daily Double

I wanted to get a big run in yesterday and decided to split it into two parts: 10 miles in the morning and 3-4 hours at night. The 10 in the morning went well and I was soaked from sweat with the heat and humidity. At least I am starting to get aclimated to the heat! I just wanted to keep moving and keep hydrated. I slowed my pace a bit to compensate for the heat and the run went very well.

I changed clothes and then the day that we have all dreaded arrived; I dismantled the play set! The girls have outgrown it and it has weathered pretty badly, making it less than safe. After a couple of hours of sawing, I now have a stack of wood to haul out to the trash tuesday morning. The back yard just does not look quite the same, but there are plans already to fill it up. Gina has requested a trampoline...hmmm...

One, of many areas, that I do not have a lot of experience with is night running. So, I planned to meet JP at Happy Days at 8pm for a 3-4 hour run. He was running a bit late and we started around 8:30pm. As we made our way over to the Ledges Overlook, the sun was just setting making for some nice colors. It was still hot, and a nice breeze was blowing, but we never really felt the wind down in the woods.

We kept a nice pace alternating running and walking. The combination of our two headlamps illuminated the trail quite well. We expected to see lots of wildlife and hear some other night sounds but the woods were pretty quiet. We saw a few deer, heard a few frogs, and a snapping turtle startled us pretty good at Kendall Lake! The best sight however was at Kendall Hills! The meadow and tree-line was filled with the flashing lights of thousands of lighting bugs!. I have not seen that many lightning bugs since I was much much younger.

4 hours later found us back to our cars with 17-18 miles covered. It was a great night and good end to the week.

52 miles total for the week with 27-28 miles yesterday. I am going to try for a big run sometime during the July 4th weekend. I would really like to cover 50 miles, just for the peace-of-mind. Yes, I know, this is only half-way, but it is a significant distance to tackle before race day.

No comments: