Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Trying to hang on...

Oh my are things crazy around here... Let me try to recap the last few days.

Saturday: Gina had a cross-country meet at Kendall Hills. Fun fun fun! I left the house at 6:15am for the drive to the valley. I ran two laps of the Salt Run trail with a loop of the cross-country trail thrown in between for a great 10 mile run. It felt great to be on the trails again. Then I met Denise and Abby and we cheered for Gina and the other Twinsburg Middle School girls as they ran what someone said was the toughest cross-country course in Ohio. Don't quote me on that - but that's what was later said! It was really great to see that incredible place jam-packed with people who enjoy running. The last time I ran through there was during BR100 around midnight and things were definitely more subdued at that time! I definitely prefer the solitude, but there was a lot of excitement and energy flowing through there on Saturday morning. Gina ran well and later remarked that it was such a fun course - she is a great storyteller and made a big funny about how during the race there was a small "thornbush" caught around her ankle so it was digging at her while she ran. She finally managed to set it loose but she was cracking up with fits of laughter as she retold the story. She also found it hilarious that the entire middle school team was later "racing" by rolling down the sledding hill as fast as they could. I am sure that in a few years this would be considered inappropriate but at her age they still found the humor in hot-dog rolling down a big hill. Oh to be 13 again.

After that I made a solo drive down to visit my family in Dayton. Denise and the girls stayed home as they had much to do and Denise has not been feeling quite well. With her 20-mile long run due this weekend, she opted to rest and ended up doing 21 miles on Monday morning.

I was able to run again on Sunday morning as my Dad rode his bike along side. I ended up with 12 miles for a whopping total of 30 miles for the week!

So I have toyed with the idea of Towpath marathon for a week or so now. Quite honestly, I am still on the fence. I am underprepared but know that I can cover the distance. Same story as last year! Part of me wants to show up just to heckle Paul a little bit by threatening to pass him. The other part of me wants to put the money and energy into something else on my incredibly long to-do list.

What would you do!!??

No comments: