Sunday, November 23, 2008

Just get out the door....

Whew! My mantra this weekend was the title of this post: "Just get out the door!" I had a terrible lack of motivation this week regarding running. I managed just one 4 mile morning run and realized that something has to change if I am going to finish the 50K in January!

Yesterday morning, I bundled up and headed out on the Twinsburg trails for a nice 8 mile slog through the fresh snow. There were flakes of snow/ice hanging in the air and at one point, the sun broke through the clouds, making the woods erupt with color and sparkles from the snow! Very very cool to see. Then the clouds took over again...

I waited until this afternoon to run the same 8 mile loop and managed to shave 5 minutes off of yesterday's time. It helped that a few more people had packed the trail down after I had broken the snow yesterday. It also helped that the sun was out and shining brightly!

Since winter has come upon us faster than usual, I need to "Just get out the door" regarding running. Once I am out and moving, it is very pleasant. Sure, the footing can be a little tricky at times and you have to worry about wind-burn instead of sun burn. But getting the blood pumping and letting the mind wander a bit from the daily noise, is a great alternative to watching the seemingly endless stream of bad news on the TV.

Denise is now suffering from the cold that Abby had last week. So far, I am safe. I figure that if I have not caught it by now, I will probably be ok...probably... We are all looking forward to Thanksgiving break. We always like to cook and enjoy the day together in the kitchen. It takes all morning to prepare, and we joke that it seems like the meal is over in 15 minutes, but Thanksgiving is one holiday that we stay home for.

This week's weather looks to be another hodge-podge of NE Ohio mix. I read somewhere that there is no such thing as bad weather, just inadequate clothing. No excuses!

Just get out the door...

1 comment:

Nick B said...

Amen, brother! Amen! I hope to run with you again soon!