Sunday, March 14, 2010

Didn't feel like a recovery week...

This past week was the first week in a long while where all of my miles were on the road! With the snow melting and ground thawing, I knew the trails would be a sloppy mess. I am going to wait a few more days before I venture back.

This was also a recovery week in my training plan with only 34 total miles. I am glad because my legs have taken a beating from the hard asphalt surfaces. Trails are much more forgiving, even with the uneven surface and obstacles. Or, maybe I am just getting old...??? I know that the purpose of training is to stress the body just to the point of breaking, but not go over. Recover and do it again... The trick is to know where that breaking point lies.

I am straying a bit from the vegetarian diet in order to get some additional protein. My legs will thank me later. I also need to get more diligent about the late night snacking. I want to get down closer to race-weight for my 50 mile run at the end of May. I want to run the "Run with Scissors" course as a long shake-down training session. I need to decide if I will run it all in daylight, or start early/late for some night running. I think it will be weather dependent. I have to think about this...

Spring fever is in full force around here! The girls are in their last quarter of school and before long, we will be in the ADK, hiking up another mountain or two!

No comments: