Saturday, March 27, 2010

Things you see....

Another crazy weekend schedule had me completing my long run last night after work. The plan called for 22 miles and I decided that 2 laps of Bedford Reservation would be just right. The training of running after a long day and then running into the night would be good. I started at Egbert shelter and after completing the short out-and-back to the park entrance, followed the Burning River 100 course through the park, across Alexander road, and down to the Frazee house on the towpath. Back tracking to the car completed the first 14 miles.

I refilled my water bottles, grabbed my headlamp, and started the second loop. This time I skipped the out-and-back and headed towards Alexander. As I neared Bridal Veil Falls, the sunset was turning the sky into a brilliant shade of orange and the almost-full moon was out shining bright. I paused to look up at a couple of Canadian geese that were flying overhead and they were a bright orange color from the sun and right in front of the moon! It was one of those perfect photos but, no camera. I will just have to remember that moment...

I had to turn on the headlamp shortly after-wards and completed my run through the woods. I was able to spot a couple of raccoons and several deer. Before long I was back at my car and heading home after completing my 22 miles.

I had almost arrived home when the car in front of me suddenly slowed down. I assumed a deer but there was something scurrying across the road. It was an opossum and he was running as fast as his little legs could carry him. Opossums are not known for their intelligence and sure enough, this one ran full speed into the curb! He hit so hard that his back-end lifted clear off of the ground and almost landed on top of the curb! He picked himself up and scrambled over the curb into the brush, acting as if that was all planned.... They are stupid, but pretty funny!

I ran another 10 miles this morning as a 'recovery' run. My legs felt pretty tired at first but warmed up and I felt ok. As I was nearing a turnaround point on the trail, I looked ahead and saw a woman walking. I was surprised since I usually don't see many people on this section of the trail. I was just about to say "good morning" when all of a sudden she dropped her pants, squatted, and started to relieve herself! She obviously did not expect to see anyone popping out of the woods behind her and even if she did check first, I wasn't there yet... I was nice and quietly turned around and headed back into the woods. I did not need to startle her or worse.... Hey, if you have to go, you have to go. Pretty funny though...

So, 32 miles completed in less than 24 hours. Just some perspective: In three weeks, I will complete the "Forget the PR 50K" (31 miles) in hopefully 6.5 hours and in August, complete 100 miles in 30 hours (or less, much less). These training runs are all stepping stones towards that end goal. It is, and has been, quite a journey.

No comments: