Saturday, March 22, 2008

Confidence

This picture was taken two years ago when we went to Charlottesville, VA where Denise ran the Marathon over Easter Weekend. This sign was outside the Gelato shop downtown. I don't think that Jesus really wanted gelato, but He is risen! That much is true!

Great week of running! I ran a fast 4 miles after work thursday in under 29 minutes. Remember all of you speed freaks, fast is relative! Yesterday I ran 20 miles in 2:53 and today I ran with Denise on her long run of 15 miles. This week's total mileage stands at 51 miles, and there is still tomorrow. I may try to sneak in 4 miles to flush the legs a bit. However, we may go the the zoo so the walking there will count for recovery.

This string of three runs back to back was huge confidence booster. I really felt good each day, no foot problems, just some tired legs today. I am sure that tomorrow I will be even more tired, but with some stretching and active recovery, things should be good. I am getting antsy to get back on the trails and off of the asphalt.

Things I need to work on:
1) Nutrition. Yesterday I ate only one clif bar and ~32 oz of gatorade during the run. That is not enough. Today, I just had 1 banana and ~16oz of gatorade for the 15 miles... One part of me wants to burn the fat, which is good, but another part of me wants to start the food experimentation to see what will work, what will not, what stays down, what will not, etc. There is plenty of time for that but I need to get my plan/stategy together.

2) Head games. Yesterday was not too bad for 20 miles since the weather was nice and conditions were pretty good. It was very quiet and empty for most of the run yesterday and today both. I have decided that I am tired of running by myself. That is why today's run was so good to spend over two hours with Denise running! Reminded me of the old days of riding the tandem together! Getting people to go out for 20 mile runs is not too easy either. I will have to get my schedule sync'd up with the group runs in the valley.

The Fool's FA run is coming up April 6th. This will start at Happy Days and provides 25K to 50K of some of the best trails in the valley. I am going for the 50K and maybe more. If I continue to have weeks like last week, it will be more!

Happy Easter!

No comments: