Sunday, March 16, 2008

Where did last week go?

Oh my does time fly! Sorry about the lack of posts, the week just got away from me; let me see if I can summarize correctly...

I went on a field trip wednesday with Gina's school class to the University of Akron's Polymer Research facility. It was pretty interesting to see what they are doing there. I have to admit that the best part of the tour was the computational lab where the computer modeling occurs. Nothing like the sound of a couple of racks of servers screaming to get your motor running! (Ok, I'm a geek, I'll admit it...)

Took a nice 8 mile run after I returned home. That felt good to double my run milage of the previous week.

The temperature thursday after work was near 50 degrees and I enjoyed a 4 mile run in shorts!!! THAT really felt good and I had a smile on my face for the rest of the evening.

Yesterday morning I went up to South Chagrin metro park for my long run. My goal was 15-20 miles, depending upon trail conditions. I started at Shelter house and proceeded on the BR100 course backwards to the Polo fields. The trail conditions were marginal at best. There was still a lot of snow with a 'path' somewhat packed down. It really was not too runnable since it was so uneven. I ran at times in the untracked snow for easier footing. There were several sloppy parts and I was not really enjoying myself. I pushed on to the Polo field and then returned back via Chagrin River Road.

The road was much faster, but my feet took a beating in my trail shoes. There is great stability in these shoes, but minimal padding. Made it back to the car and I changed into my road shoes. I traveled the multi-purpose trail up the hill towards Harper Ridge Shelter. Then back down the hill to Aurora Road. I turned around and then headed back to the car.

I am guessing it was close to 16 miles, at least I am calling it 16 miles. 2 hours 45 minutes. not speedy, but time on feet.

This afternoon Denise and I ran 7.1 miles together. It was windy and cold,when facing the wind, but a good run. I enjoy running with her whenever I can. Denise's training for San Diego is going well for her. Like me, she is also getting anxious for warmer temperatures. It is going to feel good to sweat!

No comments: