Saturday, March 8, 2008

Plan "B"


Running this week has been crazy! Ice, flooding, more sleet, and today, near blizzard conditions! Ah, spring is just around the corner!

I took Gina to University of Akron this morning for swimming Silver Champs. She was supposed to swim last night too but we skipped the drive down in the crappy weather. We made it down ok this morning with the roads being ok, not great, but do-able. The drive home this afternoon however was a different story. Much more snow and wind, making for some 'interesting' driving. On top of it all, our Honda mini van has to be the absolute WORST vehicle for winter driving! We could not even get out of the parking lot at the swim meet. I parked on a slight incline and the silly van was not able to get out of its own way. Fortunately, a couple of college students pushed us out. Thanks guys! Gina and I made it home after stopping at Subway for lunch and we picked up a couple of extra sandwiches for dinner.

My planned 20 mile run for tomorrow is scratched unless I get some snowshoes! Instead, I decided to go for plan B: Bike in the Basement! I dusted off my bike and training stand and completed a 30 minute ride. That was all that my bottom was able to stand. It was sad that I cleared my bike computer of the 56 mile ride that Abby and I completed on the tandem during STOMP last september... I obviously have not been cycling much. It was a nice ride and I will ride again tomorrow! After I dried the sweat off, I went outside and shoveled the driveway. I cleared the path and 2 inches had already fallen... At least I will not have as much to clear tomorrow!

The girls just came in from outside! They were playing "I should not be alive", which is a TV show that tells various survival stories. They were "in Alaska" and had to find shelter during a blizzard. They created a snow cave in the pile of snow beside the garage and were having a blast! Denise was just shaking her head but I said there is no better place to practice these things than in your own yard!! It was good to see them outside, laughing, and just being kids!


Notice Gina's feet coming out of the right side of the snow cave ...


Oh yeah, they just announced that the swim meet for tomorrow has been cancelled! Now we can sleep in...

One day closer to spring!!

No comments: