Sunday, May 4, 2008

Rainy woods

I ventured back to the valley saturday for a lap of the Fool's FA course. There had been some rain and I was expecting a muddy mess on the trails but was suprised with how solid they were. Of course, the rain that was falling made for a wet trail, but footing was solid.

My main goal of the day was to keep moving and see how my leg feels. After my warmup, things felt ok. My pace was slow, but I really did not care. I just wanted to see how 15 miles would feel.

Suprisingly, there was no one else out in the woods except for a ranger near Happy Days! The rain was coming down just hard enough to keep me cool, but not too hard to get me soaked! The sky got real dark and the wind picked up just as I got to the Ledges Overlook and I thought to myself, "I am about to get soaked!" But, a few harder sprinkles, and it was over.

The woods were filled with song birds and wood-peckers! It was nice to run and simply listen to the birds singing and the rain hitting and dripping from the trees. Very quiet and relaxing.

The 15 miles went well and before I knew it, I was back at the van. A quick change into dry clothes and I returned home.

I followed up with 6 miles today. My leg is not getting worse, I think it is better... One thing is for sure, I am scared to death about 100 miles... But, fear is a good thing, right?

No comments: