Sunday, February 3, 2008

What a Wiikend!!

Well, after our lazy Saturday convalescing from the flu, we all feel much better. With some help from Forrest, I awoke at 6am and tore into the Plain Dealer for the Circuit City ad. Much to my surprise, they were advertising Wiis again. Since I missed out last time by waiting too long, I quickly changed and headed to Circuit City at 6:30am. I arrived to again see quite a few cars in the parking lot. Then to my joy, I was handed the ‘golden ticket’ with number 10!!! I really felt lucky this time!

I couldn’t help but feel like I was lining up at the starting line for another race. I had my bib number, I had spent the last couple of months in training for this day, and now it was time to execute the plan fully, after 2 previous DNFs. (Did Not Finish) I was enjoying the company of my fellow Wii seekers as much as I enjoy the company of other runners at the start of a race. There was some nervous banter and even some trash talk among a couple of the regular participants. Alas, there was also disappointment, as a few late stragglers did not make the cut-off time for the start. You need to get out of bed a bit earlier next time Grandma!!

Finally, 3 ½ hours later, I was able to cross the finish line and collect my award. I returned home victoriously to the squeals of delight from my family!

Denise and I celebrated with an 8-mile run together. The girls are bowling on the Wii as we speak. I have jumped up a couple of pegs on the “Dad-meter” this weekend. This is good because now the ‘real’ training for August begins. Maybe now they won’t miss me as much when I am running…

No comments: