Sunday, July 20, 2008

Note to self...

Abby and I rode the tandem 26 miles in the Medina Ice Cream Odyssey yesterday. It was a nice day and we had a really nice time together. I am glad that we only rode the shorter distance since the day turned hot. We returned home to see the recently-returned-home-from-camp Gina! We all missed her last week and it was fun to catch up and hear all about her week.

I woke up early this morning with some sort of flu. Denise then got it around 8am too. It hit me hard for 45 minutes early morning, then I was just feeling off. Denise was not so fortunate and has fought it off and on all day. She was planning on a 10 mile run and I wanted to get 20 in during the heat of the day.

I was feeling ok at 10am so I decided to go for it. I changed and drove over to the Alexander Road aid station with the plan of running to Egbert and back. Then I would run to Station road and back, hitting the tow path during the heat of the day. I have been dreading this part of the course since it is totally exposed and promises to be very uncomfortable for race day. I was doing my 8 minute run/2 minute walk plan today and it was working well. During the open section, I changed to a 4/1 instead. It was not too bad. I ended up getting the 20 miles in and then returned home.

Gina was itching for a run so I then took off for 30 minutes of run/walk with her. It was a very good day in the heat.

Oh yea, the title of today's blog, Note to self: Don't forget the body glide for race day. Lots of sweat and no glide makes for some uncomfortable post-run sensations...

Time to get the final drop bag plans completed, check lists for aid stations, and my "things to get before the race" list created. Time is going fast, confidence is growing. Lots of things to finalize and most important, don't panic!

No comments: