Sunday, July 6, 2008

Sunday followup

Denise and the girls had left a Subway sub for me when I got home from my 31 mile run last night. I quickly ate half of it, showered, and promptly fell into a deep "exercised-induced' coma...

After I woke up at 7:45am, I ate the other half of the sub for breakfast! For some reason, I was hungry and cereal or toast did not sound good to me...

Abby and I took off on the tandem towards Chagrin Falls this afternoon. A "Ben and Jerry's" Ice cream store there has been calling our name for a while. We had a great ride over to Chagrin Falls via the metro parks and enjoyed eating ice cream outside as we watched people/cars go through town. The day was sunny and hot, perfect Ice Cream weather.

We returned home and I changed shorts/shoes and took a nice and easy 4 mile run through the woods. I figured that the 23 miles on the tandem and 4 miles running was a good follow up to last night's run.

My legs feel good; tired, but good. It was not a HUGE mileage weekend but I feel like they were good miles. A couple of people last night did not look too good. They have been cranking the miles and may be close to over-training... I hope not for their sake...

Training for endurance events always produce the same feelings and thoughts:
  • Am I doing enough?
  • Am I doing the right things?
  • What will happen on Race day?
The answer to the first question is typically "No". At least we always tell ourselves "no". The key is to do just enough to stress the body w/o breaking it. In other words, keep healthy. There are always people out there doing more than me or you. We just have to learn what we can handle and be willing to swallow our ego and not try to keep up with another's training plan.

The second question has a whole lot of answers to that I will not tackle here...

I know that I do not know what will happen on race day. I learned from from Iron Man, just take it aid station to aid station. Someone will tell me when I can stop!

No comments: