Thursday, January 24, 2008

The power of the taper

Ah, I love tapering! All of the energy that typically goes into training is available for other things; working, finishing household projects, working, and oh yeah, working.

I feel like I want to jump out of my skin, which from past experience means that I am ready for saturday. The 2008 Winter Buckeye Trail 50K starts saturday at 7am. The weather this week has been cold and we have had some snowfall to decorate the landscape. The temperature forecast for Saturday is upper 20s with wind, so the wind-chill will be in the low to mid teens. brrr. Fortunately, most of the course is in the woods, which provides some protection from the wind.

Abby and I went out tonight and I purchased one of those face-mask/hat/neck-warmer things to wear saturday. I usually just wear a fleece headband, but for the 6-7 hours that I plan on being outside saturday in the wind, I think that I'll want a bit of coverage for my face. I can always take it off if I get too hot.

My plan for saturday:
Keep moving! Denise told me last night, "Don't come home until you've run 50K!" I want to keep on top of my nutrition for this race and see if my energy/mood stays level. This means to eat/drink whenever I start to feel bad. I will take some "secret weapon" gummy bears and I bought a couple of "Espresso Love" GU packs for later in the run.

It will be a fun day with 225 people out enjoying the Northeast Ohio winter playland!

No comments: