Saturday, January 5, 2008

Winter trails


Two co-workers, Marty and Mike, agreed to run with me today for a bit. I enjoy company while I am running long to help pass the miles. We started at Boston Store at 7am and headed toward Pine Lane. The morning was a bit warmer than I expected at 30 degrees and the trail was packed snow but not icy. Marty and I both had Yak Traks on our shoes but I really don't think they were necessary.

We made up the first two hills and Mike's lungs were not appreciating the cold air. He decided to turn back before becoming more uncomfortable. Marty and I continued to Pine Lane. It was still dark when we hit the pine trees after the turnpike crossing and then when we exited the trees, suddenly it was light! I turned off the headlamp and we kept running. We did not see anyone else until the return leg back to Boston Store. Everyone must have slept in later today.

Marty stopped at Boston Store and I debated where to run next. Snowville road seemed like a good choice so off I went. The trail was also snow packed, although not as much as the more popular Pine Lane trail.

The cliffs at the stream crossing were very fascinating with the contrast of the clay against the snow and evergreens.


They must have been doing some sort of construction on the trail before Snowville road because it looked as if some heavy equipment had gone through. The trail was heavily rutted and was very uneven and mushy. I hit a low spot here and broke open my emergency rations. Gummy Bears!! They always seem to pick me up when I need a boost. Made it to Snowville and turned back. I noticed that my right yak trak had broken. A short time later I noticed that the left one has also broken. They were sliding back on my shoes so I stopped and took them off. The snow was soft enough and they really were not required. I did however miss them when I had to cross the stream again at the cliffs. The ice-covered log was a bit trickier to traverse w/o the extra grip...

I was starting to get tired and made it back to Boston Store. I needed 3 more miles to hit my 22 mile target. I refilled my bottles and started off to Brandywine Falls. I turned around where the trail forks off for an abreviated loop. Got back to Boston Store before the drizzle turned to rain.

Good run. 22 miles; 4 hours 23 minutes. I started to get frustrated at my 'slow' speed but had decided that for a 100 miles, speed does not matter! "Time on feet" is most important. Just keep moving... That is exactly what I did today. I hope to follow up tomorrow with 8-10 miles to keep the legs loose.


No comments: